Mullah Nazir orders Mehsud tribesmen to leave S Waziristan
Islamabad: Two days after escaping a suicide attack, pro-government warlord Mullah Nazir has ordered Mehsud tribesmen and Taliban militants to leave some specific areas in Pakistan`s South Waziristan tribal region by December 5 or face action.
Nazir, who finalised a peace deal with the Pakistani military in 2007, issued the directive on Saturday following a `jirga` or council of elders attended by leaders of his militant faction, a peace committee of the Ahmedzai Wazir clan and other tribal elders and clerics.
The jirga, which was held at Wana -- the largest town of South Waziristan tribal agency, warned that any tribesman found sheltering Mehsud tribesmen or militants after December 5 would be fined Rs 1 million and have their homes demolished.
Announcements made on loudspeakers in Wana, Azam Warsak, Karikort and Toikhula warned Mehsud tribesmen to leave the areas under the Ahmedzai Wazir tribe by December 5 or face action.
Nazir was injured in a suicide attack in Wana that killed seven persons.
His faction is one of four major Taliban groups that joined the al Qaeda-brokered Shura-e-Murakeba alliance.
Nazir has enemies among Uzbek fighters and the Tehrik-e- Taliban Pakistan, which is dominated by Mehsud tribesmen and led by Hakimullah Mehsud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NEET: Now, World Psychiatric Association opposes National Eligibility and Entrance Test in regional languages - Know why
- Hundreds of Noida homebuyers left in the lurch as Supertech expressway project scrapped
- Check out Iulia Vantur’s latest Instagram post after statement clarifying marriage to Salman Khan
- IPL 2016, RCB vs GL: Challenge for Suresh Raina & Co to stop Virat Kohli's phenomenal run-scoring spree
- Check www.gseb.org for 10th result 2016: GSEB SSC result 2016 declared