Mullah Omar can run for President in 2014 polls: Karzai
Berlin: Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai wants the elusive Taliban chief Mullah Omar to run for President in next year`s election so that people could "vote for or against him".
Karzai, in an interview to German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung published today, said his government had sporadic contacts with the Taliban but that there is no negotiation.
He called on the Taliban to lay down their arms and participate in the political process, the daily said.
Asked whether Mullah Omar should could be a 2014 Presidential candidate, Karzai was quoted as saying: "He can become a candidate for the presidency and give Afghans the opportunity to vote for or against him."
Karzai`s remarks came in the backdrop of his visit to Qatar on Sunday. Karzai`s government has agreed that the Taliban can open an office in Qatar if the group breaks all ties with al-Qaida and renounces terrorism.
Talking about Karzai`s Qatar trip, the daily quoting sources in his delegation said "there had been no discussions" on the issue of Taliban office.
Karzai also complained that his government had been disrespected by the West. "We want this relationship to work better, we want to be treated as allies, not as an object," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm