Mullah Omar can run for President in 2014 polls: Karzai
Berlin: Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai wants the elusive Taliban chief Mullah Omar to run for President in next year`s election so that people could "vote for or against him".
Karzai, in an interview to German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung published today, said his government had sporadic contacts with the Taliban but that there is no negotiation.
He called on the Taliban to lay down their arms and participate in the political process, the daily said.
Asked whether Mullah Omar should could be a 2014 Presidential candidate, Karzai was quoted as saying: "He can become a candidate for the presidency and give Afghans the opportunity to vote for or against him."
Karzai`s remarks came in the backdrop of his visit to Qatar on Sunday. Karzai`s government has agreed that the Taliban can open an office in Qatar if the group breaks all ties with al-Qaida and renounces terrorism.
Talking about Karzai`s Qatar trip, the daily quoting sources in his delegation said "there had been no discussions" on the issue of Taliban office.
Karzai also complained that his government had been disrespected by the West. "We want this relationship to work better, we want to be treated as allies, not as an object," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened