Mullah Omar, not Karzai, can guarantee no threat to US: Gul
Washington: Backing the Pakistani military line on the Afghan issue, former ISI chief Hamid Gul has claimed that it is only Taliban and its elusive chief Mullah Omar who can guarantee that there would be no threat to the US from this part of the world.
Gul, very often known in the western world as the father of the Taliban, said the Taliban should be recognised as a national resistance movement and the United States should hold talks with its leader Mullah Omar for peace in the region.
"This (the Taliban) is a national resistance movement. It should be recognised as such. They are Mujahideen of Afghanistan, as they were during the occupation by Soviet Union of Afghanistan.”
“I think they are gaining momentum, gaining strength by the day. This should be now understood properly," Gul told Fareed Zakaria in an interview aired yesterday.
Gul served as the director general of Pakistan`s Inter Services Intelligence during 1987-89.
He said it is only Mullah Omar who can guarantee that there would be no threat to the US from this part of the world.
"There is only one man who can give the guarantee that there will be no terrorism exported from Afghanistan. Neither Karzai nor somebody else, not even Pakistani government, nobody can give you the guarantee," Gul said.
"One man who can give the guarantee is Mullah Omar because he symbolises today the Afghan resistance. He has to be talked to. Don`t talk to (Hamid) Karzai. He`s a puppet," Gul said in response to a question when asked what advice he would give to General David Petraeus, Commander of the US and NATO forces in Afghanistan.
"Well, instead of advising General Petraeus, I would advise President Obama, who came in on the promise of change, on the promise of shifting focus from external engagement to domestic problems, but he has unfortunately not been able to do it," he said.
"I think President Obama`s speech in Cairo I think in May of 2009 was a very good speech, and I thought and I - in fact I commented on it - that his demands are very legitimate.”
“He said in that speech that if we have no threat to America from that part of the world, we are prepared to pull out every single soldier from there," Gul said.
"They (Afghans) are very clever. Don`t misunderstand them. Don`t misread them. They have retained their independence because they`ve been always very treacherous," he said in response to another question.
"They are brave. They are good fighters. They are independent- minded. But they`re also very treacherous. I think Churchill has said that never trust an Afghan, he will do anything for money. But then, at the end of the day, he will come back with the original line," Gul said.
Gul also denied a report as released by the WikiLeaks that on December 17, 2006, there was a meeting between senior members of the Taliban leadership, which included General Hamid Gul, former head of the ISI.
"During this meeting, Gul claimed he dispatched three individuals to Kabul City to carry out IED attacks," said the classified document released by WikiLeaks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'