Mullah Omar to appoint high-level team for formal US talks
Islamabad: Taliban leader Mullah Muhmmad Omar will appoint a high-level team for formal talks with the United States.
The move comes following progress in the `exploratory talks` with American officials in Qatar, a Taliban spokesperson has said.
Suhail Shaheen, the Taliban spokesperson for the Qatar political office, told The Express Tribune via telephone from Doha, that the present Taliban team in the Gulf state will hold preliminary talks with the Americans.
He added that they will discuss key issues later in formal dialogue.
According to the report, Taliban sources said that nearly 30 Taliban representatives, including six members of the top leadership, are currently in Qatar.
Shaheen said the Taliban will first hold talks with the US as it is the major party to the conflict. He added that they will ask the United States on releasing their prisoners in Guantanamo and other US prisons, as their release will be a big confidence-building measure for the talks, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!