Islamabad: Pakistan on Saturday said the trial in the Mumbai attacks case would be carried forward based on the information brought by a judicial commission that had visited India recently.
"Based on the information brought by the judicial commission, our courts will proceed further," Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Chaudhry told a news agency.
Chaudhry had said here yesterday in his weekly press conference that the Pakistan would need more evidence from the Indian side with regard to the Mumbai attacks case.
Asked what he had meant by "more evidence" he had said, "I do not have the details. The point is that the two countries need to work together in a cooperative manner so that trials take place with proper evidence".
Replying to queries on kind of evidence needed, since the Pakistani judicial Commission had a successful trip to India, Pakistani officials didn`t elaborate and had said they will have to check on the latest developments.
Incidentally, Chaudhry`s comments about need for additional evidence was missing from the official transcripts released to the media later.
Replying to a query on if the slow pace of Mumbai terror attack was discussed between Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and and President Barack Obama, he said issues relating to counter-terrorism were discussed.
"The Prime Minister made it clear that the issue of terrorism is of as much concern to Pakistan as for India if not more.
"In fact we are the victims of terrorism. The answer lies in working jointly to defeat this common enemy," he said.
Asked today, whether Pakistan still needs more evidence from India, Chaudhry said, "Please check with the Ministry of Interior".
Meanwhile, Advisor to Prime Minister on National Security and Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz said Pakistan would take action against Mumbai attacks accused Hafiz Saeed if they get "concrete legal evidence" to do so.
"We told them that the trial of Mumbai suspects will start soon...We will take action against Hafiz Saeed if we have concrete legal evidence to do so," Aziz said in an interview to Dawn daily.
Pakistan`s prosecution team had earlier said their
trip to Mumbai was "excellent from the prosecution`s point of view".
Special Public Prosecutor Chaudhury Mohammed Azhar had said the Indian authorities cooperated with the Pakistani Commission.
The Mumbai attacks trial here in Pakistan has been going on at a slow pace and on October 23, it was postponed by another two weeks.
It was delayed because records of the
cross-examination of Indian witnesses by a Pakistani judicial commission in connection with the attacks case had not reached the court in Islamabad Seven Pakistani suspects, including Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, charged with involvement in the 2008 attacks, are under trail here.
The Pakistanis are facing trial after being charged with planning, financing and executing the attacks that killed 166 people.
Indian diplomatic sources had said the records were sent to the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi last week itself.