Mush warrant valid till compliance: Pak to Interpol
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has informed the Interpol that the arrest warrant for former president Pervez Musharraf issued by an anti-terrorism court will remain valid till its compliance.
"The Interpol, through a letter, had asked from FIA about the expiry date of the arrest warrant. In response, we have conveyed them that it will remain valid till the arrest of Musharraf," FIA public prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfiqar was quoted as saying by Dawn News Monday.
The arrest warrant will remain effective till handing over of Musharraf to Pakistan or unless the trial court itself cancels it, he said.
He said the Interpol has been informed that the warrant was issued by the court in the case of the suicide attack on former prime minister Benazir Bhutto in Rawalpindi in 2007, and due to Musharraf`s continued absence from attending court proceedings.
The Senate -- the upper house of parliament -- had passed a resolution demanding Musharraf be arrested and tried for treason for unconstitutional acts during his regime.
Among the charges against Musharraf are the 2007 assassination of Bhutto.
A UN report in 2010 accused the Musharraf-led government of failing to protect Bhutto, who had returned to Pakistan from exile to run for prime minister.
Musharraf, who has been living in London and Dubai since resigning in 2008, has denied the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren