Musharraf asks Interpol to dismiss Pak`s RCN request
Islamabad: Former military ruler Gen Pervez Musharraf has approached Interpol to seek the dismissal of a request from the Pakistan government for issuing a Red Corner Notice against him in connection with Benazir Bhutto`s assassination, according to a media report on Monday.
He sought Interpol`s help following a third request from Pakistan last week seeking a Red Corner Notice for him.
"Musharraf has sought Interpol`s assistance under Article 3 of Interpol`s Constitution, which enshrines the guiding principle of neutrality by explicitly forbidding Interpol from engaging in matters of political, military, religious and racial character," an unnamed official of the Federal Investigation Agency was quoted as saying by The Express Tribune.
The official, dealing with Bhutto`s assassination case, said Musharraf had requested Interpol to treat his case as a matter of "political and military character".
"Interpol may reject Pakistan`s request as neutrality has always been paramount to Interpol whose activities transcend international politics," the official quoted a friend of Musharraf as saying.
The former military ruler sent his request to the Commission for the Control of Interpol`s Files (CCF) earlier this month. The CCF sought more evidence and is monitoring Pakistan`s request.
Pakistan sought the Red Corner Notice for Musharraf after investigators accused him of failing to provide adequate security to Bhutto after her return to Pakistan from self-exile in October 2007. Bhutto was killed by a suicide bomber in the garrison city of Rawalpindi later the same year.
The FIA official said Interpol headquarters had not rejected Pakistan`s request for a Red Corner Notice. "Interpol did not reject our request. It only asked for more documents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray