Musharraf asks Interpol to dismiss Pak`s RCN request
Islamabad: Former military ruler Gen Pervez Musharraf has approached Interpol to seek the dismissal of a request from the Pakistan government for issuing a Red Corner Notice against him in connection with Benazir Bhutto`s assassination, according to a media report on Monday.
He sought Interpol`s help following a third request from Pakistan last week seeking a Red Corner Notice for him.
"Musharraf has sought Interpol`s assistance under Article 3 of Interpol`s Constitution, which enshrines the guiding principle of neutrality by explicitly forbidding Interpol from engaging in matters of political, military, religious and racial character," an unnamed official of the Federal Investigation Agency was quoted as saying by The Express Tribune.
The official, dealing with Bhutto`s assassination case, said Musharraf had requested Interpol to treat his case as a matter of "political and military character".
"Interpol may reject Pakistan`s request as neutrality has always been paramount to Interpol whose activities transcend international politics," the official quoted a friend of Musharraf as saying.
The former military ruler sent his request to the Commission for the Control of Interpol`s Files (CCF) earlier this month. The CCF sought more evidence and is monitoring Pakistan`s request.
Pakistan sought the Red Corner Notice for Musharraf after investigators accused him of failing to provide adequate security to Bhutto after her return to Pakistan from self-exile in October 2007. Bhutto was killed by a suicide bomber in the garrison city of Rawalpindi later the same year.
The FIA official said Interpol headquarters had not rejected Pakistan`s request for a Red Corner Notice. "Interpol did not reject our request. It only asked for more documents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!