Musharraf expects justice from CJ if tried for treason
Islamabad: Amid rising demands in Pakistan for putting him on trial, former president Pervez Musharraf has said he expects justice from the country`s Chief Justice Ifthikar M Chaudhry if he is tried for treason and for the killing of Baloch nationalist leader Nawab Akbar Bugti.
Musharraf, whose act of imposing Emergency in 2007 was declared as "unconstitutional" by the Supreme Court, claimed Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz had assured him that PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif will not insist on his trial for treason.
Sharif has been pressuring the Pakistan People`s Party-led government to put Musharraf on trial.
Musharraf said if he is put on trial for treason, all the judges who supported his decisions should also be tried. He had declared the emergency on November 3, 2007 after sacking 60 members of the higher judiciary, including Chaudhry.
The former president, who is currently living in London, told Express News channel that he expects justice from Chaudhry if he is tried for treason and for the killing of Baloch Nationalist leader Nawab Akbar Bugti.
The Balochistan High Court had on Friday issued notices to Musharraf and his aides to appear before it in connection with the killing.
Pakistan`s Supreme Court recently declared the emergency imposed by Musharraf in 2007 as illegal unconstitutional, raising the possibility of his trial for treason.
Musharraf also said President Asif Ali Zardari`s policy on relations with the US was similar to his policy. He justified joining the US-led war on terror, saying he feared America would use force against Pakistan if he had refused to become an ally in the campaign.
The former president quit in August last year to avoid impeachment. He has been living outside Pakistan since mid-April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch