Musharraf may ‘formally’ announce new party next week
Lahore: Former Pakistan president General Pervez Musharraf is likely to announce his new party, named the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML), next week.
According to sources privy to the development, over two dozen ‘dissident’ leaders of the Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q), including Nisar Muhammad Khan and Sher Afgan Niazi, are currently camping in Abu Dhabi for consultations with Musharraf.
One of Musharraf’s close aides said that a meeting has already taken place on April 02 and talks are likely to continue till April 11.
Meetings are being organised by Barrister Saif, Musharraf’s ‘unofficial’ spokesperson, who has already applied for the registration of the new party.
Musharraf is likely to travel to Singapore from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) where he would decide his future course of action.
The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) has reportedly accepted Musharraf’s application to register his new political party.
However, former Pakistan Army official Major General (retired) Rashid Qureshi, while commenting on reports regarding Musharraf staging a comeback, said the former president has still not decided to join the newly floated party.
Qureshi said though Musharraf enjoys huge public support, he is unlikely to join the APML in the coming days.
“Musharraf has not yet decided to join the party and is waiting for right time to join Pakistani politics. There are 155,000 members of Pasdaran-e-Pakistan and 150,000 lovers on face book. Its shows how much popular he is in the masses,” The Nation quoted Qureshi, as saying.
Musharraf has himself made it clear on several occasions that he would return to Pakistan if the country needs him and if he garners sufficient support.
But with numerous pending cases against him in various courts across Pakistan and the opposition, particularly the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) pushing for his high treason trial, the former general’s return seems to be a distant dream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read