Musharraf `ready to face jail` if courts order
Islamabad: Former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf, who is facing a barrage of legal cases over his time in power, has said that he had done nothing wrong but is ready to go to jail if the courts order it.
The former military dictator, who returned to Pakistan last month after four years in self-imposed exile, to run for Parliament in the May 11 General Election, is accused over the killing of former premier Benazir Bhutto and a rebel from the region of Balochistan.
Lawyers are also trying to have him put on trial for treason for subverting the constitution by imposing a state of emergency and sacking judges in 2007, reports The Express Tribune.
Musharraf, while launching his party All Pakistan Muslim League`s (APML) manifesto, said his conscience was clear. He said he has done nothing wrong, and that the only thing in his heart was to save Pakistan. Musharraf said he has returned to Pakistan to do the same.
The 69-year-old is standing for Parliament in a seat in the remote northern district of Chitral.
Musharraf`s power base has withered since he left office and the APML stands little chance of making serious gains in the election, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will not bow to labour reform protestors: French PM Manuel Valls
- Former Punjab CM Beant Singh's grandson shoots himself, dies
- Photo alert! First look of Dwayne Johnson from 'Fast & Furious 8'!
- Celebs slam AIB's Tanmay Bhat for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar! – Details inside
- Japanese parents leave son in mountains as punishment, now a massive search in underway