Musharraf selects seat in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to contest poll
Islamabad: Former military dictator Pervez Musharraf has selected Chitral in Pakistan`s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province to contest for a seat in the National Assembly, the lower house of Parliament, a senior leader of his party has said.
Musharraf ruled the country for nine years after taking power in a coup in 1999. He stepped down in 2008 and left Pakistan. He now lives in London and has launched the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML).
APML secretary general Muhammad Ali Saif said on Sunday that Musharraf would contest election from Chitral district.
Addressing a public meeting, Saif said his party would usher a new era of development in the country.
"The demand of people of Chitral that Pervez Musharraf should contest (an) election from their district has proved that the masses want a change in the politics of the country and that only a revolutionary leader can bring these changes," the News International quoted him as saying.
The Chitral seat is currently held by Shahzada Mohiyuddin of the
Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q), a party formed at Musharraf`s instance before the 2002 general elections by splitting the Pakistan Muslim League of Nawaz Sharif, the prime minister he overthrew in 1999.
The PML-Q was derisively referred to as the "King`s Party" during the 2002 election campaign and was in power till it was ousted in the 2008 general elections by the Pakistan Peoples Party-Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz combine.
With general elections due only in 2013, it was not immediately clear whether Musharraf intends to wait till then or will persuade
Mohiyuddin to vacate the seat for him. Of course, there is the larger issue of whether Musharraf can return to Pakistan.
Saif, who is also a spokesman for the former president, said the government was taking credit of the development projects started by the previous government.
Chitral district, over 350 km from Peshawar, is near Afghanistan. It is one of the largest districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
Shandur, the highest polo ground in the world, is located in Chitral.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened