Musharraf should be tried by Army: Prosecution lawyer
Islamabad: While Pakistan Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry has clarified that the Supreme Court is competent to declare former President General Pervez Musharraf’s November 3, 2007 steps as unconstitutional, it cannot award punishment to him because it falls under separate rules of law.
Prosecution lawyer Akram Sheikh has said that Musharraf should be tried by the Army.
Sheikh said that since Musharraf had violated his oath as Army Chief, the Army should take action against him under the Army Act.
“Pervez Musharraf who was under the Army oath had no permission to engage in any political activity and the steps he took on November 3, 2007 are unconstitutional,” a newspaper quoted Sheikh, as saying.
Sheikh asked the court to direct the government to administer fresh oaths to Air Chief, Naval Chief and the Joint Chief of Army Staff.
Meanwhile, hearing of the constitutional petitions regarding Musharraf’s November 3, 2007 acts has been completed in the Supreme Court and the verdict is awaited any time after noon today (Friday), a newspaper reports.
Hearing the petition, CJP Chaudhry said he will not pass any verdict that will trigger chaos in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared