Musharraf to be arrested if he returns to Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities will arrest
former President Pervez Musharraf if he returns to the country
as announced at the end of January after nearly three years in
self-exile, Interior Minister Rehman Malik said on Wednesday.
Malik assured the Senate or upper house of parliament
that Musharraf would be arrested under the law of the land
whenever he arrives in Pakistan.
"The moment, he (Musharraf) lands, he will go to jail,"
he said. The minister was responding to several points of
order raised by lawmakers, who demanded that action should be
taken against the former dictator for treason as he had
violated the Constitution.
Malik said action will be taken against Musharraf as a
court had declared him a "proclaimed offender" or a fugitive.
"There are three registered cases against him. He has
been named in these cases, so ultimately he will be arrested,"
He proposed that the Senate could pass a resolution
against Musharraf as he had violated the Constitution by
imposing martial law on October 12, 1999 and an emergency on
November 3, 2007.
Musharraf recently announced that he intended to return
to Pakistan between January 27 and 30 to lead his party in the
next general election.
He seized power in 1999 in Pakistan`s third military
coup but was forced to step down as President in August 2008
after the Pakistan People`s Party formed a government
In October, a court issued a warrant for his arrest
over the killing of Baloch nationalist leader Akbar Bugti in a
military operation in August 2006.
Another court declared him a fugitive and issued a
separate warrant for his arrest for failing to cooperate with
investigators probing the 2007 assassination of former premier
Malik told the Senate that the PML-N should lodge a
complaint against Musharraf for toppling its government in
He appealed to the Supreme Court Chief Justice to take
suo moto action against the former dictator for arresting
judges after imposing emergency in 2009.
He informed the House that he would soon reveal some
facts about the National Reconciliation Ordinance, a graft
amnesty issued by Musharraf, in his forthcoming book.
"I will inform about the person who drafted the NRO," he
Malik made it clear that the PPP had nothing to do with
the NRO and the current democratic system was the result of
Benazir Bhutto`s reconciliatory efforts.
Law Minister Maula Bux Chandio supported the calls for
Musharraf`s arrest and said there were several cases pending
against the former President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'