Musharraf to contest poll from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa region
Peshawar: Seeking to return to active
politics in his homeland, former military ruler Pervez
Musharraf may opt for a safe seat of Chitral in Khyber-
Pakhtunkhwa province to enter the National Assembly.
This was indicated by a leader of the ex-president`s
new All Pakistan Muslim League party, Muhammad Ali Saif, but
the going could be tough for Musharraf as Taliban, who have
ousted from the province by the Army still wields considerable
To add to the woes of the former dictator all other
major political parties in the country are also gunning for
"The demand of people of Chitral that Pervez Musharraf
should contest elections from their district has proved that
the masses want a change in the politics of the country and
that only a revolutionary leader can bring these changes,"
APML secretary general Saif told a public meeting in Chitral
Saif, a self-styled spokesman for Musharraf, claimed
the APML will usher in a new era of development.
He said the current Pakistan People`s Party-led
government is taking credit for development projects started
by Musharraf`s government.
Musharraf, who resigned as President in 2008 to avoid
being impeached, has been living in self-exile in Britain
since April last year.
He has said the APML will contest the general
election scheduled for 2013 but not announced any date for his
return to Pakistan.
The former military ruler`s detractors contend he
will not return to Pakistan as a raft of civil and criminal
cases have been filed against him in courts across the
Some petitioners have called for Musharraf to be put
on trial for treason for abrogating the constitution and
imposing emergency in 2007.
Mounting a defence for Musharraf, Saif said the
"champions of democracy and rights of the people were
depositing huge amounts of ill-gotten money in their foreign
bank accounts and inflation had reached the highest level."
"Those raising the slogans of `Pakistan Khappey`
(Pakistan United) are looting the country and are depriving
them of bread, cloth and home," he said.
Khalid Pervez, who was appointed the APML`s acting
convenor in Chitral, said the Lowari Tunnel, the
Chitral-Gilgit road and the Atthak canal projects were started
by Musharraf and the people of Chitral will vote for the party
in any future election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof