Musharraf to return to Pakistan before next general elections
Islamabad: Former military ruler Pervez
Musharraf has said that he will return to Pakistan before the
next general election though he is yet to fix a date.
"As far as a date for (returning to Pakistan) is
concerned, I have not fixed a date but there is one desire?
Whenever the next elections are held, whether they are
end-term or mid-term, I will return to Pakistan before that,"
Musharraf told a news conference in Washington yesterday.
The former President, who has been living abroad for
over a year, said he believed in the "independence and
supremacy" of Pakistan`s judiciary.
"I only hope and expect justice will be done," he
said. Pakistan`s Supreme Court last year declared the
emergency imposed by Musharraf in 2007 as unconstitutional and
A raft of criminal and civil cases has been filed
against Musharraf across the country and experts have said he
would face legal action on his return.
Musharraf has firmed up plans for his return to the
country in recent weeks and to float a new party called the
All Pakistan Muslim League.
He has also launched a membership drive for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai