Musharraf will certainly be arrested: Gilani
Davos: Former president Pervez Musharraf will "certainly" be arrested if he returns to Pakistan, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Friday.
"In fact there had been murder charges against him, and there had even been some very grave charges against him, and the Supreme Court had already given a verdict against him," Gilani told CNN from the Global Economic Forum in Davos.
"Certainly when he`ll come back, he has to face those charges and certainly be arrested," he said.
68-year-old Musharraf had announced this month he planned to return home from self-imposed exile in London and Dubai between January 27 and 30 and take part in a Parliamentary Election due to be held by 2013.
But later he delayed his plans to return home after the government announced that he will be arrested on his arrival in the country.
Days after his announcement, Sindh Home Minister Manzoor Wassan said Musharraf would be arrested and sent to jail as soon as he arrived in Karachi.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik had also said that Musharraf would be arrested under the law of the land whenever he arrives in Pakistan.
Leaders of Musharraf`s All Pakistan Muslim League yesterday said he had delayed his plans to return to the country from self-exile later this month after consulting friends and party leaders.
An arrest warrant is pending against the former general for his alleged failure to cooperate in the probe of assassination of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto in 2007.
Musharraf who left the country in 2009 is also an accused in the killing of Baloch nationalist leader Akbar Bugti in a military operation in August 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'