Musharraf`s visit to China creates controversy
Beijing: Former Pakistan president Gen Pervez Musharraf, a proclaimed offender against whom an arrest warrant is pending in the Benazir Bhutto assassination case, was extended "courtesies" by the Pakistani Embassy here during his visit last week, stirring up a controversy back home.
Pakistan`s Embassy on Tuesday refuted reports that he was extended an official protocol while on a visit here.
A spokesman of the Embassy clarified that Musharraf, currently in exile, was only extended "normal courtesies" when he visited the mission during his visit to Beijing last week.
"Embassy of Pakistan extended normal courtesies to General (retd) Pervez Musharraf in his capacity as former president of Pakistan as per the existing practice", a spokesman of the Pakistan Embassy here said in a clarification carried by the state-run Associated Press of Pakistan news agency.
The clarification was issued to refute a report by the Pakistan Online news agency that the former President was given an official protocol even though Pakistan government is reported to have approached Interpol for his arrest and extradition in connection with the assassination of Bhutto in 2007.
Asked about Musharraf`s visit, the Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hong Lei said he came to China last week at the invitation of the Chinese People`s Institute of International Affairs, an official think-tank that invites prominent leaders and scholars for interaction.
Musharraf, a frequent visitor to China during his presidency, is reported to have addressed the meeting at the Institute on the China-Pakistan relations as well as war on terrorism.
His visit came ahead of reports that President Asif Ali Zardari would visit here to take part in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, (SCO) being held here early next month. Pakistan is an observer in organisation.
Zardari, a frequent visitor to China, like his predecessor Musharraf is scheduled to come on week-long visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days