Muslim leader arrested in Lanka
Colombo: A prominent Sri Lankan Muslim leader, who recently formed a new political front to promote ethnic and religious harmony, has been arrested by police after receiving "several complaints" against him.
Azad Sally was arrested at his residence in Kolonnawa following several complaints against him, Police Spokesman SP Buddhika Siriwardena was quoted by the Colombo Page as saying.
Sally, the leader of Sri Lanka`s newly-formed Muslim Tamil National Alliance and the former Deputy Mayor of the Colombo Municipal Council, has in the past criticised the Buddhist extremist organisation, Bodu Bala Sena.
Meanwhile, Sally`s arrest has been criticised by the leading human rights group Amnesty International, which called the action indicative of the climate of fear that prevails in the island nation for government critics.
"Azad Sally`s arrest, and the harassment he has faced over the past weeks, is indicative of the climate of fear government critics in Sri Lanka are forced to live under," Polly Truscott, Amnesty International`s Deputy Asia Pacific Director said today.
A few day back, Sally told journalists that he was in hiding after receiving threats from various quarters.
Sally has accused the government of sponsoring Buddhist nationalist groups in carrying out a series of anti-Muslim campaigns and officials claim he was arrested because of conduct that could damage ethnic harmony.
"He must be immediately released or charged with an internationally recognisable criminal offence," Amnesty International said here today.
"He has been campaigning to end oppressive practises against minorities in Sri Lanka, in particular Muslims and Tamils, for which he has faced the ire of the Sri Lankan government. Sally appears to be the latest victim in the intensifying crackdown on dissenting views we have seen in recent years, motivated by the government’s desire to tighten its grip on power," said Truscott.
"Journalists, the judiciary, human rights workers and opposition politicians like Sally are among those who have been targeted through threats, harassment and vicious violent attacks," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi