Myanmar police: 42 arrested for sectarian unrest
Yangon: Police in Myanmar say at least 42 people have been arrested and may face trial for their roles in an outbreak of sectarian violence last month.
Police officer Kyi Shein says 30 Buddhists are among those who have been detained for alleged links to unrest that hit the central town of Meikhtila for several days.
Kyi Shein said today by phone from Meikhtila that no trial dates have been set because investigations are continuing.
He said among those detained was the Muslim owner of a gold shop, where troubles first began, and those who allegedly killed a Buddhist monk whose death prompted angry Buddhists to take to the streets.
Authorities say dozens of people were killed during the violence and mostly Muslim-owned houses, shops and mosques were burned down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday