Myanmar police: 42 arrested for sectarian unrest
Yangon: Police in Myanmar say at least 42 people have been arrested and may face trial for their roles in an outbreak of sectarian violence last month.
Police officer Kyi Shein says 30 Buddhists are among those who have been detained for alleged links to unrest that hit the central town of Meikhtila for several days.
Kyi Shein said today by phone from Meikhtila that no trial dates have been set because investigations are continuing.
He said among those detained was the Muslim owner of a gold shop, where troubles first began, and those who allegedly killed a Buddhist monk whose death prompted angry Buddhists to take to the streets.
Authorities say dozens of people were killed during the violence and mostly Muslim-owned houses, shops and mosques were burned down.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know