Myanmar says 651 convicts to be freed under pardon
Yangon: Myanmar will release 651 prisoners starting Friday under a new presidential pardon, but it`s unknown if political detainees will be freed.
Myanmar state radio and television said Thursday evening the prisoners would be freed so they can participate in the task of nation-building. It did not identify them, but that description could be construed to apply to political prisoners.
The release of political prisoners is eagerly anticipated as Myanmar`s military-backed but elected government continues reforms begun when it took office last year.
Amnesties under the new government that freed more than 27,000 convicts since last May were disappointing as they included only a few hundred of as many as 2,000 political detainees.
The freedom of political prisoners is a key demand of the United States and other countries for lifting sanctions imposed on Myanmar for the repressive policies of its previous military regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Mother of all apps? Narendra Modi government is coming up with new app UMANG - It houses 200 apps!
- BJP won't win a single seat if elections are held in Delhi: CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Punjab woman 'gangraped first, killed, and then thrown from roof'
- IPL 2016: Mumbai Indians sign Jerome Taylor as injured Lasith Malinga's replacement
- AugustaWestland chopper deal: It's political conspiracy to cover up criminal negligence in pursuing CBI inquiry, says AK Antony