Myanmar says 651 convicts to be freed under pardon
Yangon: Myanmar will release 651 prisoners starting Friday under a new presidential pardon, but it`s unknown if political detainees will be freed.
Myanmar state radio and television said Thursday evening the prisoners would be freed so they can participate in the task of nation-building. It did not identify them, but that description could be construed to apply to political prisoners.
The release of political prisoners is eagerly anticipated as Myanmar`s military-backed but elected government continues reforms begun when it took office last year.
Amnesties under the new government that freed more than 27,000 convicts since last May were disappointing as they included only a few hundred of as many as 2,000 political detainees.
The freedom of political prisoners is a key demand of the United States and other countries for lifting sanctions imposed on Myanmar for the repressive policies of its previous military regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS