Myanmar to repatriate 9,000 Muslim refugees from B`desh
Dhaka: Myanmar today agreed to repatriate
9,000 Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh, a move likely to ease
tension between the neighbours over the crossing of the Muslim
minority into the Islamic nation "to escape persecution".
Mohamed Mijarul Quayes, the Bangladesh Foreign
Secretary, said Myanmar has assured Dhaka that it will begin
the process of repatriation "as soon as possible".
Myanmar`s Rohingyas, a Muslim minority, have been
crossing into Bangladesh in large numbers since 1991 "to
escape persecution" by the military rulers there. The issue
had sparked a diplomatic row, with Bangladesh asking Myanmar
to take back the Muslim refugees.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees has
set up camps in Bangladesh for the eventual repatriation of
the Rohingya people.
Myanmar accepted the immediate repatriation of some
9,000 of the 28,000 Rohingya refugees registered as their
identities have been verified, Quayes said here after talks
with Myanmar Deputy Foreign Minister Maung Myint here.
"This (refugee) issue was a top priority in our
bilateral consultation and they will soon start the
repatriation process to take back their nationals whose
identities have been already verified," he told reporters.
Quayes underlined that a large number of the 28,000
registered refugees were ready to go back home while Dhaka
"pressed Myanmar to expedite the process of their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla