Myanmar uprising marked by US exiles
Around 150 activists, according to the organisers
estimates, held a demonstration outside Myanmar's Embassy on Tuesday, calling on country's ruling core of generals to hand over power to pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
US activists also planned to hold a candlelight vigil
outside the home of the Myanmar ambassador to the US.
Their commemorations followed a series of events in
Thailand and around the world to mark the 12th anniversary of the uprising.
Hundreds of democracy demonstrators were gunned down on August 8,1988, paving the way for a Junta to take power the next month from longtime Military Strongman General Ne Win.
Protestors on Tuesday targeted Japan, which Suu Kyi
suspects of preparing to resume commercial links with Myanmar.
Japan said it is willing to increase humanitarian aid
programme to Myanmar, but only if it embraces reform.
Report : Zeenext Bureau
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!