NA bill proposes ‘eight national languages’ for Pakistan
Islamabad: A private bill seeking ‘eight national languages’ for Pakistan has been introduced in the National Assembly.
The Constitution (Amendment) Bill 2011- a nomenclature that could be changed by the Standing Committee on Law and Justice during its scrutiny- seeks to replace Article 251 of the Constitution, which specifies only Urdu as the national language, with a new one that says: “The national languages of Pakistan are Balochi, Punjabi, Pushto, Shina/Balti, Sindhi, Saraiki and Urdu.”
The bill must be passed by two-third majorities in both National Assembly and the Senate to become a part of the Constitution, the Dawn reported.
But it seems doubtful that the amendment proposal can muster the required two-third majority because language has been a sensitive issue from the early days of Pakistan, when Urdu was chosen as the only national language, excluding Bengali, which was spoken by the majority of the population living in former East Pakistan, and now Bangladesh.
The bill also proposes to continue English as Pakistan’s official language “until arrangements are made for the national languages to come at par with it”.
The original Article 251 says that “arrangements shall be made” for Urdu “being made for official and other purposes within 15 years from the commencing day” and that “the English language may be used for official purposes until arrangements are made for its replacement by Urdu”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145