NAB officials in Pak protest anti-graft official`s death
Islamabad: Officials of Pakistan`s main anti-graft agency on Tuesday joined protests across the country over the mysterious death of a senior investigator who was probing graft allegations against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf.
In many cities, officials of the National Accountability Bureau joined a strike and demanded a transparent inquiry into the death of Kamran Faisal, who was found hanging from a fan in his room in the Federal Lodges, a government hostel, on Friday.
Officials in the NAB headquarters met the head of the agency, Fasih Bokhari, and presented their demands, including an inquiry into Faisal’s death and better security for investigation officers.
They said authorities should ensure that investigators could work without facing any pressure.
In Lahore, NAB officers wore black bands as a mark of protest.
They said evidence regarding Faisal`s death and allegations by his relatives that his body had marks of injuries should not be overlooked in an inquiry.
The officers rejected the government`s decision to set up a judicial commission headed by a retired judge and said the matter should be probed by a serving Supreme Court judge.
NAB officials in Balochistan and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa provinces too joined the protests. NAB Chairman Fasih Bokhari met protesting officials and assured them that all possible steps will be taken to address their reservations.
Bokhari agreed to include a NAB officer in the team investigating the death of Faisal, a statement said.
The government yesterday formed a judicial commission headed by former Supreme Court judge Javed Iqbal to investigate the death of Faisal, an Assistant Director of NAB.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik said Iqbal had been authorised to select two officers from the police force or investigation agencies to assist him in the inquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur