Nasheed fails to get majority in first round of Maldives poll
Male: Former President Mohammed Nasheed today led the first round of presidential re-vote in the Maldives but failed to clinch an outright majority, setting up a run-off with runner-up Abdulla Yameen in a repeat of the annulled election results of September.
In the crucial vote, Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) chief Nasheed bagged 46.4 per cent of the votes, a marginal increase from his previous tally of 45.45 per cent votes in the September 7 polls that were annulled by the Supreme Court, news daily Haveeru reported.
Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) leader Abdullah Yameen made a significant gain of nearly five per cent over the 25.35 per cent of votes he secured in the annulled polls and managed 30.3 per cent of the votes today.
Jumhooree Party (JP) leader and resort tycoon Gasim Ibrahim bagged 23.4 per cent of the votes as second runner up.
Nearly 2.03 lakh people or 85 per cent of the electorate exercised their franchise, as against the turnout of 88 per cent cast during the voting in September.
There was no clarity on the date for the run-off as Elections Commission President Fuwad Thaufeek told the media that two political parties - PPM and JP - were yet to endorse the voters` list for the second round, making it difficult to hold it tomorrow.
Yameen was quoted by Haveeru as saying,"We went to sign the final list including the people who turned 18 on Sunday. But that was not the list given to us. We`re ready to sign the list as soon as it is provided. But we need at least 48 hours to review the list."
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court today settled speculation about an impending constitutional crisis as it ruled that incumbent President Mohammed Waheed will continue in office till his successor takes oath, media reported.
According to Haveeru newspaper, the court notified all state authorities that the current government will continue if a new administration is not in place by November 11.
The court also admitted a plea seeking deferment of the run-off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror