Nasheed`s party condemns `intimidation` of Maldivian MPs
Colombo: Former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed`s party on Monday condemned attempts by the government led by his successor Mohamed Waheed to "intimidate" democratically elected members of parliament.
"A day after an attempt to frame Abdulla Jabir, MP and Hamid A Ghafoor, MP, over the weekend, another attempt was made on Sunday, by the government to intimidate two Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP) Members of Parliament, Ali Azim and Mohamed Nashiz," the main opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) said in a statement.
"At a time when many Members of Parliament have been beaten up by the police and the security forces, no action taken on the perpetrators and at a time when one Member of Parliament has been brutally murdered and no one has been held accountable, it is absolutely imperative that votes on no confidence motions in Parliament is taken by secret vote," Mariya Didi, the MDP spokesperson said.
MPs Abdulla Jabir, Hamid Abdul Ghafoor and Nasheed`s former political advisor Ibrahim Hussain Zaki and former press secretary Mohamed Zuhair and several political figures belonging to opposition parties had been arrested from an uninhabited island on Friday for allegedly drinking alcohol and later released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what