NATO admits 5 Afghan kids wounded in air strike
Kabul: NATO`s force in Afghanistan admitted on Monday that one of its helicopters had accidentally wounded five children in the southern province of Helmand.
"A known insurgent was targeted by a coalition helicopter. As a result of the engagement five local children were regrettably injured," the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said in a statement.
The wounded were evacuated to an ISAF medical centre and were being treated, it said, adding that it was continuing to investigate the incident that occurred on Saturday in the Nahr-i-Saraj district.
Helmand, a Taliban stronghold, is the deadliest province for coalition forces fighting the nearly decade-long insurgency.
Civilian casualties of NATO operations are a sensitive issue in Afghanistan, where nearly a decade of foreign military action has fuelled resentment against the Western-backed President Hamid Karzai and his NATO allies.
Violence is at a record-high in the war, with more than 1,400 Afghan civilians killed in the conflict this year, up 15 percent on the first half of 2010, according to a recently released United Nations report.
According to the UN, NATO and Afghan forces are responsible for 14 percent of civilian casualties with 80 percent due to the insurgents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves