NATO airstrike kills 25 Taliban in Afghanistan
Last Updated: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 09:51
  
Kunduz: A NATO airstrike in northern Afghanistan killed 25 Taliban insurgents, including two of their commanders, an Afghan government official said on Saturday.

The air raid took place in Dana Ghori district in northern province of Baghlan on Friday night, Sayed Zamanuddin, the deputy provincial police chief said.

"At least 25 Taliban were killed in the airstrike," he said, citing intelligence report provided to him from the area. He said two rebel commanders were also among those killed.

Baghlan and neighbouring Kunduz province are the main hub of activity for Taliban forces in the region. Afghan and NATO troops launched a major offensive in the two provinces earlier this month. The operation is aimed at driving the militants out of the region, which was relatively peaceful until three years ago.

Separately, four insurgents were detained by police forces in Doshi and Khenjan districts of Baghlan on Friday night, Zamanudin said.

Meanwhile, an Afghan child was injured during a clash between Taliban and NATO forces in Kunduz's Ali Abad district on Saturday morning, Mohammad Omar, the provincial governor said.

He said there were casualties among the Taliban fighters, but could not provide any figures. No NATO soldier was killed in the firefight.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed that six German troops were killed when their fighters hit a military tank with rocket propelled grenade.

German military sources in Kunduz confirmed the attack, but said there were no casualties on their side.

There are around 4,500 German troops based in northern Afghanistan, which includes Kunduz and Baghlan provinces.

IANS


First Published: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 09:51


comments powered by Disqus