NATO airstrike kills 4: Afghan Governor
Kabul: The governor of a province in northeastern Afghanistan said on Monday a NATO airstrike killed four police officers at a checkpoint in the remote and mountainous region.
Jamaluddin Badar said coalition forces also detained 12 police officers after the airstrike. He strongly condemned the attack and arrests, which he said occurred late Sunday in the Wama district of the largely lawless Nuristan province bordering Pakistan.
"As a result of this airstrike, four police were killed and two were wounded. After the airstrike, coalition forces took 12 police with them from the checkpoint, while the flag of Afghanistan flew from the checkpoint and all police were in uniform," Badar said in a statement.
The international military coalition said it was "aware of a statement from Afghan officials in Nuristan province alleging a friendly fire incident in eastern Afghanistan”. It said it is investigating the report.
Nuristan is a sparsely populated province where the Taliban and other insurgent groups control large swaths of territory. Al Qaeda is also thought to have a presence in the area. Fighting has intensified in eastern Afghanistan, especially in the provinces that run along Pakistan`s tribal areas, where insurgents retain safe havens from which they train and organise attacks against Afghan and coalition forces across the border.
Mistaken airstrikes and night-raids are the leading cause of tension between the US-led coalition and the Afghan government. President Hamid Karzai has demanded that the coalition take steps to ensure that airstrikes do not cause accidental deaths. The United Nations said in its midyear report that airstrikes conducted by the US-led coalition remained the leading cause of civilian deaths by pro-government forces.
In the first six months of the year, 79 civilian deaths were attributed to airstrikes — up 14 percent from the same period last year. These include all attacks or airstrikes from military aircraft, including munitions dropped or fired from airplanes, helicopters and drones, the UN report said.
"The repetition of such mistakes will have bad effect on the police ranks in the province," Badar said in a statement. It is unclear how many forces the US-led coalition has in the province, where security is provided largely by a small force of Afghan police.
The US-led coalition has said it will intensify its efforts to fight insurgents in the east after focusing its efforts for the past year on southern Afghanistan — especially in the provinces of Helmand and Kandahar. The coalition has claimed significant security gains in the south, but violence has been escalation around the country in the months following the start of a Taliban offensive in April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India