NATO troops kill two Afghan civilians
Kandahar: NATO soldiers killed two Afghan
civilians on Wednesday after opening fire on a car which the force
said had tried to attack a patrol in the southern city of
Kandahar, officials said.
NATO`s International Security Security Assistance
Force (ISAF) said the troops fired after the vehicle "made a
deliberate effort to target an ISAF dismounted patrol" but
local police said it was a traffic accident.
"Sadly two civilians have been killed and two others
including a 16-year-old national have been injured," ISAF
spokesman Major Tim James told AFP in the capital Kabul.
Kandahar deputy provincial police chief Fazel Ahmad
Sherzad however said an ISAF soldier opened fire after a
civilian car hit one of their vehicles in a traffic accident.
"A vehicle lost control after one of its tyres was
dislodged and hit an ISAF car. ISAF troops fired at it out of
confusion and killed two civilian pedestrians," Sherzad told
AFP, dismissing NATO allegations that the driver intended to
attack the military convoy.
He said four occupants of the car and three ISAF
soldiers were injured in the accident.
Civilian casualties in military operations are highly
sensitive in Afghanistan as coalition troops battle to curb a
Taliban-led insurgency ahead of a planned handover of security
to Afghan forces.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai last month rejected an
apology by the commander of the foreign forces, US General
David Petraeus, over the deaths of nine children in an air
strike in a remote village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon