NATO troops kill two Afghan civilians

Last Updated: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 16:27

Kandahar: NATO soldiers killed two Afghan
civilians on Wednesday after opening fire on a car which the force
said had tried to attack a patrol in the southern city of
Kandahar, officials said.

NATO`s International Security Security Assistance
Force (ISAF) said the troops fired after the vehicle "made a
deliberate effort to target an ISAF dismounted patrol" but
local police said it was a traffic accident.

"Sadly two civilians have been killed and two others
including a 16-year-old national have been injured," ISAF
spokesman Major Tim James told AFP in the capital Kabul.

Kandahar deputy provincial police chief Fazel Ahmad
Sherzad however said an ISAF soldier opened fire after a
civilian car hit one of their vehicles in a traffic accident.

"A vehicle lost control after one of its tyres was
dislodged and hit an ISAF car. ISAF troops fired at it out of
confusion and killed two civilian pedestrians," Sherzad told
AFP, dismissing NATO allegations that the driver intended to
attack the military convoy.

He said four occupants of the car and three ISAF
soldiers were injured in the accident.

Civilian casualties in military operations are highly
sensitive in Afghanistan as coalition troops battle to curb a
Taliban-led insurgency ahead of a planned handover of security
to Afghan forces.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai last month rejected an
apology by the commander of the foreign forces, US General
David Petraeus, over the deaths of nine children in an air
strike in a remote village.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 16:27

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus