Nawaz Sharif demotes police officer for misusing funds
Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has demoted a top Pakistani police official who used public funds to issue advertisements to congratulate him on his victory in the general election in May.
Zafar Abbas Lak, a Grade 21 officer, was downgraded to Grade 20 on the orders of the premier, TV news channels reported today.
Soon after assuming office in June, Sharif had removed Lak as head of the National Highways and Motorway Police for using about Rs 900,000 from the Road Safety, Reward and Welfare Fund to issue the advertisements.
The premier had also directed authorities to initiate disciplinary proceedings against Lak for wasting public money. After the proceedings, it was decided that Lak should be demoted and the public funds spent on the advertisements deducted from his pension.
Sharif has barred ministries and government bodies from issuing such advertisements and warned that action would be taken against those who violate his directions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!