Nawaz Sharif `imports` ex-UK lawmaker as new governor of Punjab
Lahore: The ruling PML-N leadership has decided to appoint a former British lawmaker of Pakistani- origin as the new governor of Pakistan`s most populous province of Punjab.
A PML-N senator told PTI that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had informed his close aides the decision to appoint Chaudhry Mohammad Sarwar to the coveted post.
The post of the governor of Punjab, a province of 90-million, fell vacant after the resignation of Makhdoom Ahmed Mahmood, a nominee of President Asif Ali Zardari, last week.
Sarwar will give up his British citizenship before assuming the charge as a dual-national cannot hold a public office in Pakistan under the Constitution.
Earlier, Rehman Malik, who was an interior minister in the previous PPP government, had to give up his British nationality to stick to the office.
The PM`s decision to `import` a British citizen for the coveted slot, has left the other contenders disappointed.
The PML-N Senators - Zulifqar Khosa, Rafique Rajwana and Jaffar Iqbal - who had been lobbying for the post - have expressed their disappointment over the leadership`s choice.
The PML-N circles believe that the Sharifs want to `oblige` his cronies. Belonging to Faisalabad district of Punjab before settling in the UK some 35 years ago, Sarwar was elected as Labour MP for Glasgow Govan in 1997 and served till 2010.
Sarwar had an old association with the Sharif family and in the last election Nawaz Sharif awarded some tickets to his (Sarwar) recommendations in Faisalabad district.
Sarwar was also a successful businessman of the UK.
He had turned the cash-and-carry business he started with his brother into a substantial business empire, making him worth an estimated 16 million pounds.
He also played a leading role in bringing the killers of Glasgow schoolboy Kriss Donald in 2004 to justice after they fled to Pakistan, using his connections to help arrange their extradition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon