Nawaz Sharif likely to announce populist measures
Lahore/Islamabad: PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif is expected to announce some populist measures, including steps to reduce power outages, in his first address after taking oath as Pakistan`s Prime Minister on June 5.
As a first step, the new government would end "unannounced" power cuts and take other steps to tackle the energy crisis, sources in the PML-N said.
The issues to be taken up in Sharif`s speech were discussed at a meeting of senior PML-N leaders and energy experts that was held in Lahore on Wednesday.
"The PML-N government will have to work night and day to rid the country of this menace," Sharif was quoted as saying at the meeting.
Some "difficult decisions" might have to be taken to address the challenges confronting Pakistan, he said.
The speech will outline the plan of action for the first month of the new government, sources said.
It will also include references to the government`s plans to hold talks with militants and the situation in neighbouring Afghanistan.
PML-N spokesman Mushahidullah Khan said on Thursday that Sharif`s maiden speech will cover all national issues, including the energy crisis, law and order, unemployment and the economic situation.
The speech will lay out a roadmap the new government will follow during the next five years, he said.
The PML-N chief will also touch on foreign policy issues like US drone strikes in Pakistan`s tribal belt and regional peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17