Nawaz Sharif`s PML-N has simple majority with inclusion of 18 independents
Islamabad: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), which emerged as the leading party after the May 11 polls in Pakistan, now also enjoys simple majority in the lower house of the parliament when 18 independents announced their affiliations with the party.
The independent MNA-elects announced to join the ruling party in waiting before the Election Commission`s allotted time expired on Sunday, reports The Dawn.
The PML-N had bagged 126 National Assembly seats in the general elections and now with 18 independents, the party has a total of 144 seats.
With 37 potential reserved seats for women and minorities, the party`s total strength in the NA is expected to reach 181.
For simple majority in the National Assembly, the PML-N needed only 172 seats.
Meanwhile, the party has nominated its chief Nawaz Sharif for the prime minister`s slot for the third time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users