Nawaz Sharif`s PML-N has simple majority with inclusion of 18 independents
Islamabad: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), which emerged as the leading party after the May 11 polls in Pakistan, now also enjoys simple majority in the lower house of the parliament when 18 independents announced their affiliations with the party.
The independent MNA-elects announced to join the ruling party in waiting before the Election Commission`s allotted time expired on Sunday, reports The Dawn.
The PML-N had bagged 126 National Assembly seats in the general elections and now with 18 independents, the party has a total of 144 seats.
With 37 potential reserved seats for women and minorities, the party`s total strength in the NA is expected to reach 181.
For simple majority in the National Assembly, the PML-N needed only 172 seats.
Meanwhile, the party has nominated its chief Nawaz Sharif for the prime minister`s slot for the third time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi silent on scams like Manmohan Singh: Arvind Kejriwal
- French Open 2016: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic roll on, symmetry for Williams sisters
- Premier League: Jose Mourinho all set to take control at Manchester United
- Zika not a reason to cancel Rio Olympics, says US health official
- Mamata Banerjee sworn-in as West Bengal CM: As it happened