Nawaz Sharif`s PML-N has simple majority with inclusion of 18 independents
Islamabad: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), which emerged as the leading party after the May 11 polls in Pakistan, now also enjoys simple majority in the lower house of the parliament when 18 independents announced their affiliations with the party.
The independent MNA-elects announced to join the ruling party in waiting before the Election Commission`s allotted time expired on Sunday, reports The Dawn.
The PML-N had bagged 126 National Assembly seats in the general elections and now with 18 independents, the party has a total of 144 seats.
With 37 potential reserved seats for women and minorities, the party`s total strength in the NA is expected to reach 181.
For simple majority in the National Assembly, the PML-N needed only 172 seats.
Meanwhile, the party has nominated its chief Nawaz Sharif for the prime minister`s slot for the third time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read