Nawaz Sharif`s PML-N has simple majority with inclusion of 18 independents
Islamabad: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), which emerged as the leading party after the May 11 polls in Pakistan, now also enjoys simple majority in the lower house of the parliament when 18 independents announced their affiliations with the party.
The independent MNA-elects announced to join the ruling party in waiting before the Election Commission`s allotted time expired on Sunday, reports The Dawn.
The PML-N had bagged 126 National Assembly seats in the general elections and now with 18 independents, the party has a total of 144 seats.
With 37 potential reserved seats for women and minorities, the party`s total strength in the NA is expected to reach 181.
For simple majority in the National Assembly, the PML-N needed only 172 seats.
Meanwhile, the party has nominated its chief Nawaz Sharif for the prime minister`s slot for the third time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India