Nawaz warns of grand alliance to topple Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader Nawaz Sharif has dropped some potent hints to unseat Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, and among them a move to form a grand opposition alliance against the government.
Nawaz emphasised that pushing Gilani to resign was the party’s ‘final decision’. Nawaz said the PML-N would contact Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam (JUI-F), Jamaat-e-Islami (JI), all the nationalist parties of Sindh and Balochistan and even the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI)– a rising party considered the PML-N’s chief political opponent, to form an alliance against the Gilani government.
Nawaz warned of launching a countrywide mass movement against the government if Gilani did not step down after his conviction by the Supreme Court last week. “Obey the Supreme Court verdict. Abandon the premiership or face a protest movement,” Nawaz said, addressing Gilani.
“This is the decision of the people of Pakistan and I announce it as the representative of the masses,” he added. However, Nawaz did not explicitly elaborate the modalities of his planned mass movement. On the other hand, the PTI’s reaction to working with the PML-N was lukewarm.
“Nawaz Sharif’s track record is a story of unfulfilled promises and false commitments as he let down fellow opposition parties on every occasion… so how can we trust him this time,” said Shafqat Mehmood, PTI’s information secretary and media manager.
“We’ll chalk out our own strategy to pressurise the government to comply with the Supreme Court decision,” Mehmood added. JI’s spokesperson Ameerul Azeem said the party was in favour of evolving cooperation among all political forces against the government.
“The bottom line is we want a movement to bring down the government,” The Express Tribune quoted Ameerul, as saying. A JUI-F spokesperson said the party did not want any confrontation between the government and the judiciary.
“I think there is still confusion in the prime minister’s contempt. The court has not explicitly said that he is disqualified,” said MPA Mufti Kafayatullah. “We are not in a hurry. We will decide our line of action when all these issues are settled,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly