NC leader elected head of Nepal Constitution-drafting body
Kathmandu: Senior Nepali Congress (NC) leader Nilamber Acharya was on Friday elected the chief of a 63-member panel tasked with drafting Nepal`s new Constitution by May 2010, defeating his Maoist rival in a close contest that came after last minute efforts to choose a consensus candidate failed.
During the election for the post that took place in the office of the Constitutional Committee, Acharya secured 29 votes against 21 received by Maoist candidate Narayan Kaji Shrestha.
Altogether, 50 votes were cast out of the total 63. Terai Madhesh Democratic Party and Rastriya Prajatantra Party-Nepal boycotted the election.
After Acharya, former minister for law and justice, was declared victorious, he was sworn in as the Constitution-drafting panel`s Chairman by the Chair of the
Constituent Assembly, Subash Chandra Nembang.
The election occurred after the last minute negotiations between Nepali Congress (NC) President GP Koirala and Maoist chief Prachanda failed to reach a consensus on the issue.
The post of the Chairman of the Constitutional Committee fell vacant in May when Madhav Kumar Nepal, who was leading the panel, was appointed Prime Minister.
The 63-member body is responsible for drafting the new Constitution to institutionalise the federal democratic republic by May 2010.
Nepal`s Constituent Assembly at its first meeting on May 28 last year had declared the country a federal democratic republic and set a two-year deadline for drafting the new Constitution for the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM