NC leader elected head of Nepal Constitution-drafting body
Kathmandu: Senior Nepali Congress (NC) leader Nilamber Acharya was on Friday elected the chief of a 63-member panel tasked with drafting Nepal`s new Constitution by May 2010, defeating his Maoist rival in a close contest that came after last minute efforts to choose a consensus candidate failed.
During the election for the post that took place in the office of the Constitutional Committee, Acharya secured 29 votes against 21 received by Maoist candidate Narayan Kaji Shrestha.
Altogether, 50 votes were cast out of the total 63. Terai Madhesh Democratic Party and Rastriya Prajatantra Party-Nepal boycotted the election.
After Acharya, former minister for law and justice, was declared victorious, he was sworn in as the Constitution-drafting panel`s Chairman by the Chair of the
Constituent Assembly, Subash Chandra Nembang.
The election occurred after the last minute negotiations between Nepali Congress (NC) President GP Koirala and Maoist chief Prachanda failed to reach a consensus on the issue.
The post of the Chairman of the Constitutional Committee fell vacant in May when Madhav Kumar Nepal, who was leading the panel, was appointed Prime Minister.
The 63-member body is responsible for drafting the new Constitution to institutionalise the federal democratic republic by May 2010.
Nepal`s Constituent Assembly at its first meeting on May 28 last year had declared the country a federal democratic republic and set a two-year deadline for drafting the new Constitution for the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’