NC to agitate if Maoists fail to vacate cantonments: Deuba
Kathmandu: A key leader of the of the main
opposition party in Nepal on Monday threatened to launch a stir
if the Maoists fail to vacate the cantonments housing the
former rebels and opposed the promulgation of the constitution
before the guerrillas are integrated into the security forces.
Former prime minister and senior Nepali Congress (NC)
leader Sher Bahadur Deuba said that the party "may opt for
launching nationwide protests if the Maoist cantonments are
not vacated at the earliest".
Deuba said that his party is against the promulgation of
the constitution by keeping the Maoist soldiers in
"The constitution should not be announced in rush by
keeping the Maoist combatants in cantonments," Deuba said at a
programme organised in Dailekh district in West Nepal.
"Let`s finalise the issue of combatants first and
then we can go for the constitution."
The NC leader said that all the leaders should be
serious about completing the peace process and drafting the
He asked all the parties to work together for the
common agenda of the people by rising above their vested
Central member of Kishor Singh Rathore said that his
party should take the government leadership to conclude the
peace and constitution drafting processes.
Meanwhile, UCPN (Maoist) Vice Chairman Baburam
Bhattarai has said that drafting of a new constitution is
impossible without a national government.
Speaking at a function in the capital today
Bhattarai stressed on the need for a national consensus
government under the leadership of the Maoists with the
inclusion of the major political parties including the Nepali
Congress (NC), the Madhesh-based parties and the CPN-UML.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- Pakistan has received Letters Rogatory in Pathankot case: Minister
- Interlinking rivers only solution to drought: Government
- VVIP chopper scam: Govt to seek CBI report, blacklist AgustaWestland; Sonia Gandhi rejects allegations against her
- Pakistani fanatics heckle, show shoe to Kabir Khan at Karachi airport - Watch
- Bharti Airtel Q4 net up 2.8% to Rs 1,290 crore; revenue up 8.4% to Rs 24,960 crore