NC wants Koirala led government; Maoists not interested
Kathmandu: Nepal`s main opposition party Nepali Congress on Tuesday pitched for a national unity government led by its leader Sushil Koirala, saying only such an arrangement can ensure free and fair election in the country.
A resolution passed by a regional convention of the Nepali Congress held on the outskirts of Kathmandu held the "irresponsible behaviour" of the Maoists to be responsible for the constitutional and political deadlock in the country.
The gathering of 240 regional chairmen of the party has underlined the need to form a national government under the leadership of Koirala, party`s general secretary Prakash Man Singh said.
Only Nepali Congress-led government can conduct free and fair election at this moment, pitched the resolution.
The four-day national training programme and regional convention of party that kicked off in Kathmandu from Saturday concluded that a new government led by Koirala should be formed and fresh elections should be held in April-May 2013.
At the gathering, the party`s regional leaders stressed on the need to find a way out of the current political crisis by holding new election and promulgating the constitution at the earliest, party sources said.
However, Maoist leaders suggested they wanted a two-phased national unity government -- first under Prachanda`s leadership and then under an NC leadership.
Political advisor to Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai and senior Maoist leader Devendra Poudyal ruled out the possibility of Bhattarai handing over power to the NC to form a national consensus government at the moment.
He also said that preparations were underway within the ruling coalition to form a national consensus government led by Maoist chairman Prachanda.
He, however, suggested a two phase policy towards forming a Nepali Congress-led government.
The Nepali Congress should first join the Bhattarai-led government for a limited time period and then power could be handed over to Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala in the second stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical