Need clarity on war on terror: Pakistan to US
Islamabad: The terms of engagement between the US and Pakistan in the war against terror should be clearly defined so that conflicting positions and unilateral actions do not adversely impact ties, President Asif Ali Zardari has said.
The president made the remark during his meeting with US Special Representative for Pakistan and Afghanistan, Ambassador Marc Grossman, who called on him here Monday.
President`s spokesperson Farhatullah Babar said Pakistan-US bilateral relations, the war against militants and the regional situation with special reference to Afghanistan were discussed during the meeting.
Ties between Islamabad and Washington were considerably strained following the May 2 killing of Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad city. The daring raid by US commandos had been carried out without informing Pakistan, which left the establishment red-faced.
Babar quoted Zardari as saying that in the absence of well-defined and documented terms of engagements, wrong plugs may be pulled at the wrong times by any side that could undermine the bilateral relations, Associated Press of Pakistan reported.
The president said that terms of engagement should be clearly defined and specified so that any dispute could be settled amicably through the available institutions.
Babar said the president also emphasised that a long-term, sustainable and multi-dimensional relationship with the US should be based on mutual interest, trust and mutual respect.
He said Pakistan had rendered unparalleled sacrifices in its struggle against terror and was determined to continue this fight till its logical conclusion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?