Need relaxation on employment visa: Lanka tells India
Colombo: Sri Lanka has sought some relaxation on employment visa from India and both countries are engaged in negotiations to simplify the visa regime, Commerce Minister Anand Sharma said on Saturday.
Sharma, who is here on an official visit, met Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa over lunch today and discussed bilateral ties and the purpose of his visit to the island nation.
The Minister also apprised Rajapaksa of the decisions taken during the visit and India`s decision to set up a Special Economic Zone on automobile, engineering goods and pharma hub.
Sources said Sharma informed Rajapaksa that Commerce Secretaries of both countries are already engaged in simplifying the visa regime. Sri Lanka has sought relaxation on the employment visa.
The sources said Rajapaksa told Sharma that he will visit India soon.
Yesterday, Sharma had discussed with Sri Lankan Foreign Minister GL Pieris issues relating to customs clearance.
"We will resolve all issues relating to customs clearance. India will be sending a draft customs cooperation agreement to Sri Lanka soon," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam