Need relaxation on employment visa: Lanka tells India
Colombo: Sri Lanka has sought some relaxation on employment visa from India and both countries are engaged in negotiations to simplify the visa regime, Commerce Minister Anand Sharma said on Saturday.
Sharma, who is here on an official visit, met Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa over lunch today and discussed bilateral ties and the purpose of his visit to the island nation.
The Minister also apprised Rajapaksa of the decisions taken during the visit and India`s decision to set up a Special Economic Zone on automobile, engineering goods and pharma hub.
Sources said Sharma informed Rajapaksa that Commerce Secretaries of both countries are already engaged in simplifying the visa regime. Sri Lanka has sought relaxation on the employment visa.
The sources said Rajapaksa told Sharma that he will visit India soon.
Yesterday, Sharma had discussed with Sri Lankan Foreign Minister GL Pieris issues relating to customs clearance.
"We will resolve all issues relating to customs clearance. India will be sending a draft customs cooperation agreement to Sri Lanka soon," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days