Nepal: 9-yr-old boy may be youngest Everest climber
London: A Nepalese boy aged 9 is on the way to becoming the youngest person to climb the world`s highest mountain, Everest.
Tseten Sherpa, who scaled a 6,000-metre peak last week, could beat the record set by American Jordan Romero, who was 13 when he managed the feat in May.
According to Nepalese law, climbers must be over the age of 16, but Tseten`s determined father, Pemba Dorje Sherpa, is seeking special dispensation so his son can make his attempt in April, when he will be 10.
The child climbed Mount Ramdung in eastern Nepal last Wednesday, and Pemba Dorje Sherpa - a renowned climber himself - said he wanted his son to become the youngest person ever to reach the Everest summit.
Pemba Dorje Sherpa, who holds the world record for the fastest ascent of Everest - it took him eight hours and 10 minutes - said earlier this year he wanted to find a Nepalese child to beat Romero`s record.
“I think all the Everest records should be held by Nepalese people,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
However, Tourism Ministry official Baburam Bhandari has warned that the government would not allow the climber to take his son on to the mountain.
“We will not let him climb Mount Everest. Our climbing regulations clearly state that you must be at least 16,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Overhaul Indian sports bodies and de-link from Political patronage to overcome Rio fiasco: CPI-M
- Fawad Khan has short yet pivotal role in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil': Karan Johar
- Looks like it takes a lot of men to doll up Sunny Leone- See pic
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health
- 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra stun with their chemistry on 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa'