Nepal: 9-yr-old boy may be youngest Everest climber
London: A Nepalese boy aged 9 is on the way to becoming the youngest person to climb the world`s highest mountain, Everest.
Tseten Sherpa, who scaled a 6,000-metre peak last week, could beat the record set by American Jordan Romero, who was 13 when he managed the feat in May.
According to Nepalese law, climbers must be over the age of 16, but Tseten`s determined father, Pemba Dorje Sherpa, is seeking special dispensation so his son can make his attempt in April, when he will be 10.
The child climbed Mount Ramdung in eastern Nepal last Wednesday, and Pemba Dorje Sherpa - a renowned climber himself - said he wanted his son to become the youngest person ever to reach the Everest summit.
Pemba Dorje Sherpa, who holds the world record for the fastest ascent of Everest - it took him eight hours and 10 minutes - said earlier this year he wanted to find a Nepalese child to beat Romero`s record.
“I think all the Everest records should be held by Nepalese people,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
However, Tourism Ministry official Baburam Bhandari has warned that the government would not allow the climber to take his son on to the mountain.
“We will not let him climb Mount Everest. Our climbing regulations clearly state that you must be at least 16,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre