Nepal Army and US military conclude joint ops
Kathmandu: Nepal Army and the US military have concluded their first joint humanitarian assistance operations in Pokhara.
More than 300 personnel from Nepal`s Army, US military and local community members attended the closing ceremony of `Operation Pacific Angel Nepal` yesterday at Machhapuchhre Higher Secondary School in Pokhara, a major tourist hub in western Nepal.
During the six day-long joint military exercise starting from September 10, over 4,195 local villagers were given free medical assistance in pediatrics, optometry, physio-therapy, public health infection control, food safety, women`s health and pre-post partum nutrition care, according to a US Embassy statement.
The ceremony was attended by Nepal Army`s Western Division Commander Lt General Nepal Bhusan Chand and Major General Russell J Handy, Director of Operations, Plans and Programmes, who was officiating on behalf of the Commander of the US Pacific Air Forces, Hawaii.
"We are honoured to have worked alongside the Nepal Army through our Pacific Angel programme, and deeply appreciate the hospitality our Nepali hosts have extended to us," Handy said.
"Throughout this past week, we have been continually impressed with the professionalism of the Nepal Army, and their diligent efforts to improve the quality of life of Nepal`s citizens," he added.
Three construction and renovation projects were completed at Macchapucchre primary and secondary schools, and at the Macchhapuchhre district post.
A team of 80 Nepal Army and US military designers, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, painters, and brick-layers enhanced and improved a school hostel, restroom facilities, water tank, pump systems and school cafeteria.
"These efforts are a visible expression of our combined commitment to peace and stability in this region with the desire to strengthen the relationship between our countries and our continuing resolve to ensure increased humanitarian assistance and disaster relief in this region," Handy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31