Nepal Army chief to visit India
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Army Gen Gaurav Shumsher Rana will pay a maiden visit to India from January 6 to further strengthen the age-old friendly relations existing between the armies of the two neighbouring nations.
Gen Rana, who assumed the top army post in September, will visit India at the invitation of his Indian counterpart Gen Bikram Singh.
During his 10-day long trip, he will be conferred with the title of honorary General of the Indian Army by President Pranab Mukherjee as per a long-held tradition of conferring the title on each other`s army chief.
Since 1965, both the armies have been conferring the honorary rank of General on each other`s Army Chief in view of the close military ties shared by the two countries.
Besides holding bilateral meeting with his Indian counterpart, Gen Rana will meet other top Indian civilian and military officials.
India-educated Gen Rana will be leading a six-member delegation of Nepal Army.
The visit is expected to further strengthen the age-old friendly relations existing between the two countries, Nepal Army Headquarters said in a statement today.
Rana took over the post of Nepal`s Army chief succeeding Gen Chhatra Man Singh Gurung. He passed out of The Lawrance School, Sanawar in Himachal Pradesh, and has served in the Nepal Army for the last 39 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'