Nepal CA term extended for fourth and final term
Kathmandu: Ending a political deadlock, Nepalese lawmakers on Tuesday gave the fourth and final six-month extension to the Constituent Assembly for drafting the country`s new constitution under a peace agreement reached
among the major political parties.
Under the final extension in tenure, the 601-member assembly now would have to come up with the new draft, according to Nepali Congress leader Gopal Man Shrestha. With the endorsement of the fourth round of CA extension, the political deadlock has ended for the time being.
The previous extension of the assembly is due to expire on Wednesday and the country`s Supreme Court has ruled that assembly will get no further lease of life.
The Constituent Assembly formed in May, 2008 for the term of two years had been extended three times after political parties failed to conclude the peace process and write the constitution within the stipulated time frame.
The meeting of four major political forces including UCPN-Maoist, Nepali Congress, CPN-UML and the Joint Democratic Madhesi Front Tuesday morning reached a six point deal to extend the CA for another six months, according to Shrestha.
They have also agreed to conclude the integration and rehabilitation of the Maoist combatants and returning the property seized by the Maoists during the conflict to their rightful owners by December 15.
The political parties have also agreed to expedite the constitution drafting process and form a national consensus government after concluding the peace process at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price