Nepal cabinet resigns to form consensus govt
Kathmandu: All the ministers in Nepal`s coalition government resigned en masse on Thursday night after major political parties in the country reached a deal to form a new national unity government within two days in a bid to end the current political deadlock.
The top leaders of three major political parties and the Joint Democratic Madhesi Front during a crucial meeting reached a five-point agreement to form a national consensus government to promulgate the Constitution within the May 27 deadline, according to Nepali Congress central member Bimalendra Nidhi, who was also present in the meeting.
As per the agreement, all the ministers of the coalition government led by Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai have tendered their resignation en masse and have agreed to form a national consensus government within two days.
Now Bhattarai will form the new government to include members of the main opposition parties.
The parties have also agreed to sort out all contentious issues of Constitution drafting within the next three days and to promulgate it within May 27 deadline, according to Nidhi.
The parties have also agreed to form a government led by Nepali Congress. As per the agreement Nepali Congress-led government will conduct the Parliamentary Election within one year after drafting the Constitution.
The agreement was signed by UCPN-Maoist chief Prachanda, Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala, CPN-UML president Jhala Nath Khanal and chairman of Madhesi Peoples Rights Forum, Bijaya Kumar Gachhadar.
The Constituent Assembly was elected in 2008 with a mandate to draft the document within two years, but the deadline has been repeatedly extended amid little progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez