Nepal cabinet resigns to form consensus govt
Kathmandu: All the ministers in Nepal`s coalition government resigned en masse on Thursday night after major political parties in the country reached a deal to form a new national unity government within two days in a bid to end the current political deadlock.
The top leaders of three major political parties and the Joint Democratic Madhesi Front during a crucial meeting reached a five-point agreement to form a national consensus government to promulgate the Constitution within the May 27 deadline, according to Nepali Congress central member Bimalendra Nidhi, who was also present in the meeting.
As per the agreement, all the ministers of the coalition government led by Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai have tendered their resignation en masse and have agreed to form a national consensus government within two days.
Now Bhattarai will form the new government to include members of the main opposition parties.
The parties have also agreed to sort out all contentious issues of Constitution drafting within the next three days and to promulgate it within May 27 deadline, according to Nidhi.
The parties have also agreed to form a government led by Nepali Congress. As per the agreement Nepali Congress-led government will conduct the Parliamentary Election within one year after drafting the Constitution.
The agreement was signed by UCPN-Maoist chief Prachanda, Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala, CPN-UML president Jhala Nath Khanal and chairman of Madhesi Peoples Rights Forum, Bijaya Kumar Gachhadar.
The Constituent Assembly was elected in 2008 with a mandate to draft the document within two years, but the deadline has been repeatedly extended amid little progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama