Nepal celebrates Nepal Sambat
Kathmandu: The dominant Newar community in
the Nepalese capital today celebrated Nepal Sambat, an unique
lunar calendar which was recently recognised by the
A grand procession was organised to celebrate the
Nepal Era 1131 which was also attended by Prime Minister
Madhav Kumar Nepal.
Nepal Sambat was introduced in 880 AD by Shankhadhar
Shakhwa, a local merchant from Kathmandu, who paid off all the
debts of common people on his own, thus emancipating thousands
of people from slavery.
President Ram Baran Yadav has extended best wishes to
the people on the occasion.
U-CPN-Maoist Chairman Prachanda-led government had
given recognition to the Nepal Sambat as the national calendar
three years back.
Meanwhile, Nepalese today also observed Bhai Tika, a
festival to celebrate the bounding between brother and sister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video