Nepal celebrates Nepal Sambat
Kathmandu: The dominant Newar community in
the Nepalese capital today celebrated Nepal Sambat, an unique
lunar calendar which was recently recognised by the
A grand procession was organised to celebrate the
Nepal Era 1131 which was also attended by Prime Minister
Madhav Kumar Nepal.
Nepal Sambat was introduced in 880 AD by Shankhadhar
Shakhwa, a local merchant from Kathmandu, who paid off all the
debts of common people on his own, thus emancipating thousands
of people from slavery.
President Ram Baran Yadav has extended best wishes to
the people on the occasion.
U-CPN-Maoist Chairman Prachanda-led government had
given recognition to the Nepal Sambat as the national calendar
three years back.
Meanwhile, Nepalese today also observed Bhai Tika, a
festival to celebrate the bounding between brother and sister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- From Kanpur to Varanasi in 10 days: 11-year-old Shraddha Shukla attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga
- Doha airport brings in passenger tax
- Jason Gillespie to leave Yorkshire at end of season
- Myanmar holds unique position in India's neighbourhood, says PM Narendra Modi
- Bangladesh's Tamim Iqbal out for a month with fractured finger, to miss ODI series vs Afghanistan