Nepal celebrates Nepal Sambat
Kathmandu: The dominant Newar community in
the Nepalese capital today celebrated Nepal Sambat, an unique
lunar calendar which was recently recognised by the
A grand procession was organised to celebrate the
Nepal Era 1131 which was also attended by Prime Minister
Madhav Kumar Nepal.
Nepal Sambat was introduced in 880 AD by Shankhadhar
Shakhwa, a local merchant from Kathmandu, who paid off all the
debts of common people on his own, thus emancipating thousands
of people from slavery.
President Ram Baran Yadav has extended best wishes to
the people on the occasion.
U-CPN-Maoist Chairman Prachanda-led government had
given recognition to the Nepal Sambat as the national calendar
three years back.
Meanwhile, Nepalese today also observed Bhai Tika, a
festival to celebrate the bounding between brother and sister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report