Nepal celebrates Nepal Sambat
Kathmandu: The dominant Newar community in
the Nepalese capital today celebrated Nepal Sambat, an unique
lunar calendar which was recently recognised by the
A grand procession was organised to celebrate the
Nepal Era 1131 which was also attended by Prime Minister
Madhav Kumar Nepal.
Nepal Sambat was introduced in 880 AD by Shankhadhar
Shakhwa, a local merchant from Kathmandu, who paid off all the
debts of common people on his own, thus emancipating thousands
of people from slavery.
President Ram Baran Yadav has extended best wishes to
the people on the occasion.
U-CPN-Maoist Chairman Prachanda-led government had
given recognition to the Nepal Sambat as the national calendar
three years back.
Meanwhile, Nepalese today also observed Bhai Tika, a
festival to celebrate the bounding between brother and sister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you