Nepal celebrates Nepal Sambat
Kathmandu: The dominant Newar community in
the Nepalese capital today celebrated Nepal Sambat, an unique
lunar calendar which was recently recognised by the
A grand procession was organised to celebrate the
Nepal Era 1131 which was also attended by Prime Minister
Madhav Kumar Nepal.
Nepal Sambat was introduced in 880 AD by Shankhadhar
Shakhwa, a local merchant from Kathmandu, who paid off all the
debts of common people on his own, thus emancipating thousands
of people from slavery.
President Ram Baran Yadav has extended best wishes to
the people on the occasion.
U-CPN-Maoist Chairman Prachanda-led government had
given recognition to the Nepal Sambat as the national calendar
three years back.
Meanwhile, Nepalese today also observed Bhai Tika, a
festival to celebrate the bounding between brother and sister.
- Bizarre: This London restaurant promotes nudism; you can eat your meals here fully naked!
- Tata Group mulling over plan to launch wearables for yoga practioners, factory workers
- JNU sends show-cause to Umar for movie screening last year
- A vitamin that can decelerate ageing process!
- DU stops sale, distribution of book referring to Bhagat Singh as terrorist