`Nepal faces challenges of consolidating peace`
Washington: Nepal faces daunting challenges of consolidating peace after a decade of civil conflict, the US Ambassador-designate to the nation has said, noting that his country is working with the government there to promote political and economic development.
"Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world. It faces the daunting challenges of consolidating peace after a decade of civil conflict, writing a new Constitution that will enshrine the values of a new federal democratic republic, developing its economy, expanding access to health and education and improving its poor infrastructure," Peter William Bodde told Senators during his confirmation hearing.
"Despite these challenges, the Nepali government has made significant strides over the last few years. The 10-year civil conflict is over, the Maoists have not only join mainstream politics but are heading the current government, tasked with completing the peace process, and the government has made a meaningful commitment to raise living standards and improve the lives of its people," he said.
If confirmed by the Senate, this would be his third assignment in Nepal.
"We are working with Nepal to promote political and economic development, decrease the country`s dependence on humanitarian assistance and increase its ability to make positive contributions to regional security in the broader global community," he said.
Bodde said if confirmed, he will take a special interest in the promotion of Tibetan and Bhutanese refugee rights.
In his previous postings, Bodde served as a budget and fiscal officer and as deputy chief of mission at the US embassy in Kathmandu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Beware! Grilled food not good for health!
- WhatsApp leads messaging apps globally
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Andy Murray survives fresh five-set Paris battle
- Mercedes insist all cool after Spanish storm; Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg clear the air
- Foxconn factory goes 'techno'; replaces workers with 60,000 robots!