`Nepal faces challenges of consolidating peace`
Washington: Nepal faces daunting challenges of consolidating peace after a decade of civil conflict, the US Ambassador-designate to the nation has said, noting that his country is working with the government there to promote political and economic development.
"Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world. It faces the daunting challenges of consolidating peace after a decade of civil conflict, writing a new Constitution that will enshrine the values of a new federal democratic republic, developing its economy, expanding access to health and education and improving its poor infrastructure," Peter William Bodde told Senators during his confirmation hearing.
"Despite these challenges, the Nepali government has made significant strides over the last few years. The 10-year civil conflict is over, the Maoists have not only join mainstream politics but are heading the current government, tasked with completing the peace process, and the government has made a meaningful commitment to raise living standards and improve the lives of its people," he said.
If confirmed by the Senate, this would be his third assignment in Nepal.
"We are working with Nepal to promote political and economic development, decrease the country`s dependence on humanitarian assistance and increase its ability to make positive contributions to regional security in the broader global community," he said.
Bodde said if confirmed, he will take a special interest in the promotion of Tibetan and Bhutanese refugee rights.
In his previous postings, Bodde served as a budget and fiscal officer and as deputy chief of mission at the US embassy in Kathmandu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh