Nepal govt asks Maoists not to obstruct the works of GMR
Kathmandu: Nepal government has asked the
Maoists not to obstruct the work by an Indian firm-led
consortium on the 300 MW Upper Karnali hydro-power project and
assured to provide conducive environment at the site.
Ministry of Energy in a statement today asked the
concerned groups not to obstruct the construction work of
GMR-Energy at Upper Karnali power project saying that it may
discourage foreign investors in Nepal.
"As the project is very much beneficial for Nepal, it
should not be obstructed," Minister for Energy Prakash Sharan
Mahat said, adding: "The government is committed to creating
conducive atmosphere at the project site."
"The government is concerned about the security of the
foreign investor and committed for smooth functioning of the
project," Mahat told agency.
The Maoists have recently asked the GMR to halt its
work and leave the site, saying that the project is heavily in
India`s interest at the cost of Nepal.
The local people and representatives of various
political parties have condemned the Maoists` act of
obstructing the project saying that the halting of the works
may adversely affect the community works being carried out by
GMR in the area for the benefit of the local people.
Earlier, GMR had sent a letter to the government and
sought its help in the matter.
GMR is currently engaged in preparing the Detail
Project Report of the Upper Karnali. The project that is
expected to be completed in 2016. It would supply 12 per cent
of the total power free of cost to Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games