Nepal govt in dock over Pashupatinath`s treasury
Kathmandu: A Nepalese Hindu has dragged the government to court over its decision to open the main treasury of Nepal`s famous Pashupatinath Temple that is believed to have remained padlocked for centuries.
Bharat Jangam, a Hindu activist and writer, has filed
a PIL in the Supreme Court on Thursday, pleading to strike
down the decision taken by the caretaker government to open
the main treasury of the fifth century shrine.
Jangam has argued that the caretaker government has no
right to open the more than 2000-year-old treasury of the
The court is set to hear the case on Monday.
Located on the banks of the Bagmati river,
Pashupatinath is regarded as the most sacred temple of Shiva
(Pashupati) and the oldest Hindu shrine in Nepal.
The temple is also listed in UNESCO World Cultural
Heritage Site list.
Jangam, who had earlier dragged the Maoists to court
over its decision to dismiss Indian Brahmins from the holy
Hindu shrine, has argued that in a secular state the
government has no rights to interfere in religious matters.
If the government cannot open the treasury of a
Buddhist monastery or a Christian church how can it interfere
with the valuable assets of the Pashupatinath temple, he
However, a legitimate government can do the same by
enacting a separate act after holding consultations with Hindu
scholars and priests and othe prestigious people, he
The main treasury `mul dhukuti` of Pashupatinath
is believed to contain priceless items, including Nagmani
(snake jewel), Gajamani (elephant jewel), Nilmani, (blue
Last month, the government decided to open the
treasury to maintain a record of the valuables and to ensure
their safety, said officials at Pashupati Area Development
Trust (PADT), that manages the affairs of the temple.
"We have also formed a 22-member committee to keep
records of the treasury and to manage the valuables," PADT’s
treasurer Narottam Vaidya told a newswire.
Jangam claimed that the keys of the treasures were
kept by Hindu Kings in the past, but no one knows their
To open the treasury the lock must be broken and being
a Hindu we don’t allow the caretaker government to break the
sacred treasury, he said.
However, PADT officials say they are planning to open
the treasury and list the valuable items in order to properly
manage them and to make the affairs transparent.
The people have every right to know about the
treasures of the temple, said Vaidya.
The PADT is also planning to establish a museum within
the temple premises where the valuable and priceless items
will be kept for public display, he added.
But now we have to wait the Supreme Court’s decision,
the temple`s treasurer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings