Nepal govt vows to take action GMR office attack incident
Kathmandu: Nepalese government on Wednesday
assured that action will be taken against the perpetrators
who vandalised the office of Indian joint venture firm GMR,
severely beating its staff and setting ablaze three buildings
in western Nepal`s Dailekh district.
Energy Minister Gokarna Bista has expressed commitment
to take action against those who were involved in the arsoning
of the GMR Energy`s office in Dailekh district recently.
A group of 60 Maoist cadres on May 22 attacked the
offices of GMR Energy in Dailekh, 700 km west of Kathmandu,
and overpowered the security guards before setting the office
buildings on fire, according to a senior GMR official.
Speaking at an interaction programme in Kathmandu
Minister Bista said those who were behind the attack will be
brought to justice regardless of their political inclination.
He said that the government is thoroughly
investigating into the matter to reveal the fact.
"No one can escape the law under political
protection." He said that the government will intensify
security in the area to protect joint ventures in future.
A group of Maoists have burnt the office of the GMR
which is developing 900 MW Upper Karnali project in the
western Nepal district.
Two security guards were seriously injured in the
attack and the three office buildings at the project site were
damaged in the incident.
Nepali Congress central member and former Energy
Minister Prakash Sharan Mahat has asked the government to
implement its words by taking stern action against those
involved in the attack.
We need foreign investment for our economic
prosperity and to reduce poverty and such incidents will only
repel foreign investors, he pointed out.
Maoist central member Devendra Poudyal speaking at
the same programme said that though they have some objection
regarding the hydropower project being developed by India as
they were not at the interest of Nepali people, though they
don`t have any such policy to create obstructions at the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’